Thursday, December 04, 2008

Hey, Joe's Class Ring Smells Like Fish Guts .

His Ring Is In There Somewhere....

Life can be stressful. I know it is sometimes for me, and knowing all of you guys the way that I do, I know it must be the same for you as well. Some of you have families, or some on the way, some of you travel alot, drive a lot, have financial repsonsibilities, or have a full load of classes that you need to master. And I know at least one of you is a Democrat - hell, the stress of that weight must be unbearable at times......

Knowing that, and often being in the same boat, I do my best to find at least one post every single day that will make you laugh, if only for a minute or two.. Why, because I love all of you guys. I really do, I just don't say it enough.. With that in mind, I give you the story of Joe Richardson's class ring.....

Joe's mom paid $200 for his 1987 graduation ring while fishing in Lake Sam Rayburn a mere two weeks after finishing his education at Universal Technical Institute in Houston. And at the bottom of the lake it sank. For 21 years.......

An anonymous fisherman recently went fishing at the same lake, and bagged a nice 8 pound largemouth bass. He took it home , and while cleaning it for frying, out of the fish popped the ring, blue stone still intact and almost flawless. The guy saw Richadson's name engraved in it, and the search for him began. Through the internet, the guy found Richardson in Buna, Texas - about 100 miles outside of Houston, where he works an automotive technician (not a mechanic - they HATE that).

Joe once again has his stinky and slightly tarnished ring in his possession. How long that ring was stuck in that lunker bass is anyone's guess, but it reminds me of the story of Jonah being in the whale's mouth.. Just remember, if you are patient, all the good things come back to you - even class rings, which reminds me - if you live in Rochester, New York, and find a 1986 Brentwood High School ring with a ruby in it, call me.

.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah...i have no idea what ever happened to mine either.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Actually, i think my roommate's girlfriend stole it, but I digress. Good call on Vincent Jackson tonight, Bobby.

Anonymous said...

I still have my 83 class ring with a aquamarine stone in it! However my size 5 ring finger is no more after 25 years and several pounds later.

Anonymous said...

I gave mine to my son and it got stolen,and my other son lost his at the beach.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one...

Anonymous said...

I am curious where you got the information that, "He took it home , and while cleaning it for frying, out of the fish popped the ring..."

No published reports had any info about the disposition of the fish.

Contact me by email of you wish at dzaidleATfishgame.com.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

That was an assumption on my part. The article I found said nothing of HOW either. I figured the fish wouldn't have it in his mouth, and an 8 lb. bass would be a bit big to be able to feel the ring from the outside.

Short of an x-ray, I didn't see any other way to find it without cleaning it, but who knows?

Anonymous said...

i sold mine for a bag in the seventies