Friday, September 11, 2009

SCGOP: The Party That Eats It's Own....

Black Label and Loin of Sanford Makes Good Eatin ' .......

Okay, time to break my silence a bit here. Two months after censuring Governor Sanford for his poor choice of not notifying anyone that he was leaving the country to see his Argentinian girlfriend, the Executive Committee of the SCGOP decided today to ask the Governor to resign - a plan already attempted by the Republican House caucus, The House Speaker, and perhaps Sanford's worst enemy in the Senate ......

Nothing meriting impeachment has been brought forth since the original censure - what, a few plane flights? Big freakin' deal.. Why not check his house in Sullivan's Island, check for state-owned pencils, and nail him for that too? That hasn't stopped politicians with an axe to grind, and some embarrassed party reps. on an anonymous conference call. Judging by the votes tallies, our Executive Committee members understand what merit impeachment slightly better than the House - but only slightly.

What does merit impeachment? Leaving the country for five days, when the House and Senate are done with business? No. It's poor judgement, it merits censure, but not resignation or impeachment. The conduct has to be malicious, with the intent being to wrecklessly cause harm to the office. He wrongly tried to hide where he was going to catch some tail. Awful idea, but malicious and wreckless? Nope....

I can tell you one rule that has been broken here, unofficial though it may be - Reagan's 11th Commandment. Most of you know - or at least heard of it - but for those of you who haven't, it is simple..... Thou Shalt Not Speak Badly of Another Republican. That rule appears to have become completely lost on our party this Summer. It's political cannibalism, and it is going to kill our party. If impeachment hearings take place in January, it will fracture our party worse than it already is, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a Democrat as Governor next November....

Clearly, some in the party think that the best way to avoid that is to pressure Sanford to resign, and if not, then impeach him ASAP... The bloodlust to oust him without even a finished decision from the State Ethics Committee reminds me of the McCarthy hearings. You know what kind of governments call votes of 'No Confidence'? Communists usually. Maybe Japan every once in a while....We don't like you, so we will use whatever reason we can to make you step down.

I don't buy the theory that we need to get Sanford out to get the Legislature back to working positively. The fact is that our state is set up to make the Governor - even a popular one - weak and powerless. EVERYTHING vetoed is overruled. And replacing the leader worked so well with Andrew Johnson, John Tyler, and Gerald Ford to name a few. Andre Bauer will be no worse - and likely no better either. Just a different head of a branch of state government that the other branch doesn't listen to.....

Honestly, I almost resigned my job as Vice-Chair of the 6th Congressional District over today's vote, and a few other things. If they want my gig - traveling to 15 different counties for free - they can have it. I have plenty of friends in the GOP. I don't need a title to feel needed.... But, I'll keep it for now, and try to fix my party from the inside. Who knows if I can, the forces that started it are out of my control, but the answer to my often asked question - Who Drives the Bus? - is WE drive the bus. Mark Sanford is not the cause of all our problems..... The problem is us.

.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said...Mike Reino. Best post you have written in a VERY long time!

Stephanie McLaughlin Rawlinson

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Thanks Steph, though I'm sure you will be in the minority on this one....

pluvlaw said...

I'd have a little more sympathy for Sanford if he had not embarked on Sanford: The Revenge Tour '09. Like it or not, he brought all these shots on himself and he ought to just man up and take them. He looks foolish traveling up to Greenville to do that presser outside that dudes office. Those cheap, corny PR stunts may have been endearing before. Now it further cements the image of him as a joke.

As an outsider looking in, he has forced this hand. FWIW, I think the GOP has got a uphill road for keeping the governor's mansion any way you cut it. Your only shot at keeping it has more to do with national politics than with what happens in the state.

Anonymous said...

While I think your point on impeachment is technically correct - it was Sanford who started attacking fellow Republicans - and he was doing this while having an affair. Stupid should be reason enough to impeach someone.

earlcapps said...

Sanford brought this on himself. His continual immature behavior, the character assassination efforts, and continually judging everyone and every part of state government not under his control (while his own agencies were riddled with corruption and mismanagement) all contributed to his failure to lead.

Governor Carroll Campbell was idolized as the most successful Governor ever, and he did it with far less legal authority than Sanford has.

When you get a call from someone who is reading through your divorce files and telling you it's time to lay off the Governor, to make sure you know they're not bluffing, threatening to start airing dirty laundry, tell me how YOU feel about the Sanford administration?

I guess they didn't want to talk about my first divorce. The one where I got custody of my daughter (a sign I'm a real sleazebag, right).

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Anon, thanks for the honest assessment, but from what I remember, Jakie Knotts and John Land were the first to start stirring the shit storm before anyone even knew what was happening.

Yes, he brought this on himself, and most of the criticism is merited, and I personally wouldn't have gone on the attack - I just would have defended myself when needed, but mostly I would have apologized once, and then been quiet.

However, being an a-hole towards people you disagree with doens't merit impeachment.

mg said...

Not going to comment about Sanford but Mike you are doing a good job as the Vice Chair and I appreciate that.

earlcapps said...

I agree. You and Tommy are as hands-on as I've ever seen party district officers.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Hands on? No wonder I have such trouble with the ladies! I need to be less huggy-kissy ...

Speaking of which...Earl , you didn't fall for the old 'Date my sister, but really it's cement shoes in the East River' trick !!