Thursday, September 11, 2008

Five Dollar Gas By the Weekend ????


No, this isn't the scene from my local gas station today, but it wasn't far off. I'm not one to fill my tank up in fear of prices rising tomorrow, but I really staved off a bullet today. The little yellow light came on last night, so I decided to get some gas after work.. As I passed two stations in West Florence, I was stunned to see the prices , $3.91 and 3.93 for regular unleaded !! Yet, I go a mile away to the south side of town, and it's $3.53, and finally, at the Kangaroo station around the corner from my house, it's still $3.49 - and all 21 pumps are being used, and ten other cars are waiting.....
It's happening everywhere.... Matt called from Hilton head to see if it was going on here too. The lady at the station there told him, "Fill it up - it's gonna be $5.00 a gallon by tomorrow." Is she kidding? We'll find out this weekend....
In case you feel like you jeans are a bit tighter today, that's not it - you're being gouged..... I'm not sure who, you're being gouged by someone. Need proof? Look at oil prices.. Despite Hurricanes Gustav, Hanna and now Ike, oil prices continue to slowly drop, down to close to $100 a barrel. Yet gas goes up 50 cents in a day? It looks like the middlemen in the processing of oil to gas are bending us all over the trash can again... I'd ask Moye to explain this, but we don't talk about our jobs here on the blog anymore, right??
Just when we thought this mess was all over, we get dragged back in... Maybe it will blow over when Ike makes landfall like 100 hurricanes just like him have before, and nothing happens..... Let's hope so..
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
9/12/08 4:30pm Reported from my friend Adam on Battleground Ave. in Greensboro.
Traffic has stopped because gas station is offering gas for $3.59.
The rest of the stations are at $4.25 right now as we speak!
So I guess we can all figure that any time a hurricane comes thru....make sure you have a full tank.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

The station I got at 3.49 last night is now 3.99 - while Diesel is unchanged. How does that happen? I don't know.