Monday, September 01, 2008

Time to Make Amends With Someone...



I know what you're thinking... "Good God, here he goes AGAIN !!!!". Nope, this isn't a post about what you think it is. Ha, ha - had you going, didn't I? I did make it look that way on purpose, but as far as that goes, it's out of my hands - I've done all I can.

I was talking to Bobby last week about stuff, and he mentioned to me that soemone thought I had a major grudge against them because of them doing their job a couple years back. I'm speaking of the Florence Media, in particularly, The Florence Morning News.

Back in 2006, when i had my brief legal problem for knocking a beer out of my Dad's hand during the campaign, the story sat for a few days before everybody got a hold of it. Much of the story was false, and I tried to get the truth out, but it pretty much fell of deaf ears. After that, I bacame the guy who tried to strangle his Dad, which of course didn't happen. If I walk around life like a guy with a black cloud hanging over his head, that plays a part of it. If it's never happened to you, you have no idea what it's like.

After everything was dropped, I wanted to get the word out, but my advisors felt it was a waste of time, that I'd end up becoming the Florence GOP's version of Ed Robinson - the guy always in trouble. That's when i quit politics for good...

I've long forgotten about what happened, although it does seem to pop up every now and then. But Bobby had a conversation with an Editor at the Morning News, and apparently , they still have a regret or two about it. That's nice to know if they had a second chance, maybe they would have done things differently. I know I would have, and really , all the responsibility rested in my lap. There's lots of things I'd do another way in life, but we forgive, we forget, and we move on again...

Maybe my political beliefs don't jibe with the editor or staff there, but you have to get along with the local media whether you agree or not. Sure, i wish their website processed faster, and were organized differently, but that's where I get my local news from, so why complain? They were doing their job, and I hold no grudges from it. I am long past it, and I've moved on. I other words, I forgive you, if forgiveness is needed. I doubt it though !!!

All I ask is when that old codger Thom Anderson stops writing his column on Sundays, that they give me the gig. I have plenty to chat about ..

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you going back in politics now

Anonymous said...

I think it is still curious that an editor or any member of the press, hasn't the gonads to print a retraction or apology.

This was most reinforced when LBJ's press secretary fessed up that they knew the kid and mushroom cloud commercial was a crock in the '64 campaign vs Goldwater, but obdurately felt no need to apologize. I take that in contrast with Lee Atwater whose contrition in his terminal days for the "dirty tricks" in campaigns he'd run remains in the atypical category. Maybe the strength of one's convictions and the humility that finds one with a need to seek forgiveness isn't a strong Democrat "family value" in the "interfaith community".

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Hell no, Moye. Why do you think I hang at Strip Clubs all the time? Just to make sure I never do again.


Rhino, I wouldn't hold my breath for that correction/retraction..

Anonymous said...

yeah...it isn't 1964 anymore. does Rhino know that he makes about as much sense as Dennis Miller to most of us???

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Rhino is an acquired taste, and it usually requires reading his post 2-3 times to understand the humor..

Anonymous said...

bobby, it isn't '64 and that press secretary remains proud of the libel, to the point of bragging among Sunday morning peers during the '04 campaigns, backhandedly acknowleging that the Swift boat vets had a leg to stand on.