Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Here's Tips On Something I Know Nothing About: Getting Your Boss to Like You.


Being a more effective employee is to know your strengths and weaknesses. As one, I can tell you that I am far from perfect. I hate criticism, some days I bring home problems to work with me, and then there's my temper at times. I've made great strides on the third one, but i can tell you one thing without question: If my last boss didn't hate me so much, I would still have that job. Granted , she did me a favor, and I am far better off now for it. Thanks, Alice !!!
Now, some of you have great jobs, and you really want to do everything you can to keep it. If you think job performance will keep you in that spot, think again. I was the top seller at my last job, and my customers loved me too - with one exception. Think I'm crazy? Ask the experts.
In an article for Yahoo! Hot Jobs, Stephen Viscusi says that keeping in good stead with the bosses is the most important niche you can have in your company. Here are his four tips for being the Boss' Pet - that's a good thing.....
Your Reputation:
How are you viewed in the office? Are you the high-maintenance producer (me), or are you the go-to guy that takes the pile of work and cuts it down to size, without complaints?
Sweat the Small Stuff:
Details, details, details.... Do you return calls and e-mails right away, or do you keep everyone waiting? Ever use spell check, or doo youre e-mils lock lik these???? In a world where separation is small, the little stuff makes the difference.
Last Car on the Lot:
Even if you're staying later and showing up earlier than your boss by only five minutes, it gets noticed. This is my best trait. Whenever my bosses show up, I'm already there at my desk, ot waiting for him to open the door...
Be Direct:
I use this one a lot also as well, although I have had plenty of bosses tell me one thing one day, and do the opposite the next. If you're new, ask how you're doing, and what you need to do to improve, and make HIS/HER job easier - nice way to put it. If the axe looks like it's going to fall, ask how to avoid being the chopee. If you let them know you care, it makes it a lot harder to let you go - or if they do, they will regret it. I spoke with my old co-worker today, and it was obvious that I am missed there. It feels good.....
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweat the small stuff

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Absolutely, Moye! Good to hear from you again. On the road ,I see.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Actually, I got a very small bonus check today, and I am going to management to be VERY DIRECT with them tomorrow....