Monday, September 15, 2008

SC6 Remembers Rick Wright of Pink Floyd...



If you grew up around my time, you went through your Pink Floyd phase. We all did. Sure, some of us liked to turn the lights out, flip on The Wall, and get stoned to it. But, some of us knew them before we were freshmen in college (the advantage of having older brothers), and we appreciated the endless talent of Floyd. For 40 years, the band turned out some of the most complex, innovative and asskicking music that has ever been recorded. Now one of them is gone...

Floyd pianist Rick Wright passed away from cancer today at the age of 65. No details were given by his family, as they wished. It's a bit ironic that he died today. For starters, I had no idea he was ill. Secondly, I was thinking about things lately, and Pink Floyd came up, and I am almost convinced of something: I am Pinky from The Wall.....

Seriously, I mean it. I was raised by an absentee Dad (emotionally if not physically), and a Mom who overprotected me from the world, although she meant well. My marriage fell apart because I was always unavailable for my wife (Is there anybody in there?), and since then, I've built a shell around myself where no one really seems to know me, just a little. I have lots of acquaintances, but few friends - and it's pretty much my fault. And tell me Ms. X isn't just like the groupie he dragged back to the hotel, and then trashed everything, leaving her screaming for cover. I just caused less damage....

But I digress. Work was a total bitch today, and I'm a bit less than chipper. To pay tribute to Rick, here is an example of his best work - a live version of "Great Gig In the Sky" from their 1973 classic, "Dark Side of the Moon".... Shine on, you crazy diamond. I know, that's about Syd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enwnt7-j90k&feature=related

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great band

Thoroughbred 401k said...

No doubt about it..