Wednesday, January 16, 2008

SC Job Bank..... Where the Good Jobs Aren't.



I got a big lesson in the reality of finding a job yesterday.. After months of getting jerked off by about five dealerships from here to Hilton Head, I found myself stuck in neutral, without a real job opportunity in sight. I've been using SC Job Bank for finding a job, but it's always the same gigs... Account Execs at a local TV station, or Sales Jobs with no base pay.

Talking to my brother Matt on Sunday, he told me to try MSN jobs, and after Bobby esentially yelled at me to get off my butt and find work (tough love, indeed), i went onto MSN Jobs, which is essentially Career Builder.com. On it, there were a completely different set of jobs, including one for an advisor at Firestone. Those jobs usually are not online, because service advisors are kinda like chimpanzees - you find one on the street, and you can train them to do anything...

I'm not sure why the Job Bank has so few options, but it seems to me that they're not really doing the unemployed in South Carolina a service. What if I didn't have my own computer? How do poor unemployed people find jobs? I guess they don't.

For those of you keeping track, we're now at 4 months and five days since I last had a job. I never had this much trouble finding another one before, so I've had to learn to use all the options available, including ones I haven't needed previously. I'll just keep tracking, an waiting on a call.

.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike:

Just a thought, why don't you go to the florence-darlington technical college and take the 40 hour property casualty insurance licensing class.

After you have done that you can open your own independent insurance agency but better yet. Doing this will allow you to open your own bail bonding agency.

It will be tough at first but my friend...it is the sucker in life that looks to others for a paycheck. Make your own paycheck and eventually you will pay others.

That is the way of the conservative.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

It's a thought - I already passed the life and health test in 2005. The problems are that it would involve money to start, and it is all gone, and I know a couple people in the bail bond business, and there is a good chance of losing your ass..


I've tried twice to do business in Florence, and I went under, so my best bet around here is to play it safe, and just get by in life.

Anonymous said...

do not rob a liquor store please

Anonymous said...

Well what you could do is take the class and get your license and work for somebody a while. It is decent money and despite the title of bail bondsman an honorable living.

Despite that, once you are on your feet after a year you can also sell sr-22 insurance as well and that my friend is a freaking gold mine because their aren't alot of people who want to mess with that.

just a thought...It is under the radar, it makes money and gives you lots of cash to contribute to your favorite politicians.

Anonymous said...

Pizza the Hut, Dominos and Papa Johns are still out there