Saturday, November 29, 2008

Getting Busted For the Old Chew & Screw...


OK, When I Give the Signal, Let's Bolt....
I like to call it Chew & Screw, but you might call it Dine & Dash, Munch & Run, Chow & Chuck, etc. It's the long held tradition of going to a restaurant, having a meal, then leaving without paying for it. Yes, it is the lowest of lows, and no, I've never done it. If I can't afford to pay, I don't eat there. I once was in a cab in Manhattan, and the two other guys who made five times what I did, left without paying, so I paid for it. Then I called the other two guys assholes....
A group of five people in Australia made a nice little game of it, until recently. The went to a restaurant in Melbourne , ate about $340 in food, then decided to go out for a cigarette - and didn't come back. However, the restaurant owner didn't give up.
It seems that one of them asked about a former waitress there, and so the owner contacted the former waitress, and she suggested going onto Facebook for some mutual friends. Sure enough, they found him, he contacted her, and he got busted. It turns out that he and his girlfriend worked at another local restaurant, so the guy knew how to do the Chew & Screw to a T. When he got caught, he paid the $340, along with a nice tip.
Still, it wasn't enough to keep his own boss from firing both him and his girlfriend for the Chew & Screw.... Good Luck finding a job now, Buddy. The lesson learned? You can find almost anyone on MySpace or Facebook, I guess. That, and don't do a Chew & Screw.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so no comments on this

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yeah, I was wondering what happened here.. Like everyone pays for dinner!