Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Power of the People.

Think You Can't Change Things? Let Us Remind You...

Hey, I just wanted to tell you guys something: we like you. That and we care about you. We really do - whoever you are. You're smart, you're reasonably attractive, and you read the greatest blog ever conceived on the internet. Who could disagree? And it's because we care about you that we need to remind you how cool you are.....

Often in life, we feel pretty powerless. I know the feeling well. The world is pretty big, and it seems like huge forces that we can't stop are all pulling against us. Either that, or my pants are getting tighter.. Anyway, to give you a pep talk about how powerful you can be, let me remind you of one case where you did it.

Have you out gas in the family truckster lately? I'm sure you have. It's not so painful now is it? The Kangaroo behind my house that had gas at $3.99 a gallon not more than a few months ago is now at $1.65 a gallon. And it's still dropping. With crude oil dropping under $50 a barrel today, it will only continue to drop. By New Year's day, it wouldn't surprise me to see $1.25 gas...

So, what caused it? The better turn of the war in Iraq? Nope. That cleared up a year and a half ago. What about all the refineries catching up now that the hurricanes are over. Not really.. Gas was still about $3 a gallon when that happened. I'll remind you how it happened - America said that we're sick of expensive oil, and we're not going to use so much of it. And how much less are we using? Not all that much - maybe just a few points percentage wise. But boy, did it work. I hardly drive, and I'm saving a good $50 a month. Compared to what I spent when I was going back and forth to Hilton Head, I spend at least $250 a month less in gas. No chump change there...

The point is this: we collectively as Americans have the power to truly change the course of our country. November 4th showed that a little bit too... But when we make even small adjustments to our daily lives, we can really make big changes to the Big Picture. Thinkmif we just saved a few extra bucks a day? Or if Congress could just do a couple repairs to the budget? Even the largest avalanche started with a small bit of snow. We can do it too. You already have.....

.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Iowa this week 161.9 keep that vehicle parked and it will go down let the people start driving and working again and it will go up

Thoroughbred 401k said...

No doubt, but hopefully the yo-yo won't be extreme next time..

Anonymous said...

my gas bill has dropped from $700. a month to $300. a month.

Anonymous said...

my gas bill is half of what is was two months ago.

Anonymous said...

Like I said before, we are our worst enemies.