Wednesday, October 01, 2008

SC6 Florence Food Critic: Five Guys Burgers..

Why is the Trophy Club Better Than Five Guys? Find Out Below......

Well, I finally got to go out to lunch today... Bobby got stuck in traffic in Myrtle Beach, so he got into town at about 2:30, so I was really ready to eat something - anything!!! Bob suggested we check out the new Five Guys Burgers at Five Points. Sounded good to me....

This is an up and down food review, so I'll break it down a bit. I was thinking it was kind of a Red Robin kinda place, where you can get some exotic kooky burger. For some strange reason, I was hoping to score a Blue Cheese Burger, but Five Guys does it differently... The menu is kind of like the menu at the restaurant in 'My Cousin Vinny' - breakfast, lunch and dinner.. They have hamburger, cheesesburger, and bacon cheeseburger - and that's it. From there, you get unlimited toppings from their list, which is cool. I ordered mine with lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled onion, jalapenos and A-1 sauce. Yes, I was going all out... I also went for the cajun fries and a coke. What I didn't notice was that the fries and drink add $4.10 to the bill......The total came to $10.53

We went outside to enjoy the weather while the food came. The furniture is pretty minimal and rather uncomfortable, so you may prefer ordering out. They do give you peanuts to munch on while you wait - nice little touch, and they do have vinegar malt for the fries, although I passed. Then the food came.

My burger was very good, although mine and Bobby's got mixed up. However, just about everything I ordered on mine was missing. No mayo, jalapeno's, onions or A-1. I was starving, and Bob can tell you, I never complain about food. Truth was, i was so damn hungry by then, i didn't notice the stuff missing. Overall, the burger was great - fresh, the bun was super soft, but for $10.50 it could have been a little bigger. I could score 2 Double Whoppers for the same price, and then some.

Will this place make it in Flotown? Honestly, I'm not sure. We Florentine's are notoriously cheap, and a decent burger could be had at ten other places for 1/3 the price, or you can sit down comfortably at Ruby Tuesday's for the same price. If there were someplace to sit, maybe it could be a neat little place for a date burger, but.........

In short, Five Guys has good food, but the price is a bit steep to enjoy all the time.....Yikes! I forgot... Why is the Trophy Club better than Five Guys? Sure, I spend a lot of money at both places , but at the TC, at least I get everything I ordered, right ?? ;)

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

five guys is taking over the burger world

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Not at these prices...

Anonymous said...

Discovered 'em in DC and pleased to fine them in CAE and CHS... just remeber, don't order the large fries unless there are four or so in your party.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

That seems to be the prevailing thought - go in packs,split the fries, and bring a drink from home.

Anonymous said...

I say we open "Five Gals, Breasts and Thighs" Chicken with chicks.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yeah...... It would be the only fast food restaurant with a VIP Room ! Time to call the bank, and some friends..