Friday, October 31, 2008

What a Way To Go...



Time for another one of those stories, except this one isn't really all that funny, just strange. Don Doane of Ravenna, Michigan was like a lot of people in Michigan. With it's brutally cold winters, Bowling is the biggest sport. I was in a league for a couple years, and I had a 145 average - I never developed a strike ball, but I was pretty consistent. The great thing about bowling is that it's one of the few sports you can drink while playing, without seriously inuring yourself...

Don was a bowler for 45 years for the same team at Nutt Farms, and on October 16th, he was on fire. In the 10th frame, he bowled the last three strikes to record his first ever perfect 300 game. He was high-fiving his teammates in celebration, when he suddenly collapsed and died at the age of 62....

Wast the stress, the excitement or the beer and chili dogs every Friday night at the snack bar ?? I don't know. I once bowled a 199, which was my high score, so I have no idea what kind of pressure you feel when you are on the verge of perfection - unless you consider the perfection that is SC6.... But, no doubt Don was doing the one thing he loved when he passed on. That's why when I die, I want to be at my desk in the Service Department, with 50 pissed off customers and whiny technicians all yelling at me - just the way I like it.....

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

durn

Anonymous said...

that's why JoePa will kick it on the sideline...doing what he loves to do. God Bless him! Wouldn't we all like to do something we love all of our lives like he has!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah...my high score, 194. i choked trying to get the 200. ya got me by 5.

Anonymous said...

A couple of months ago I bowled a 163. One of by favorite activities. For some reason I get stuck on only knocking 9 pins down. What's with that?

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Judging by what you say, i'm going to assume you are right handed. Your problem depends on whether you throw a straight ball or hook..

A straight baller like me often will miss the 7 or 10 pin due to a lack or pin action from the pins laying down. I've found that my strike ball is best when I hit just left of the head pin - also called the 'Brooklyn' side.


A righty hook usually misses on the 10 or the head pin, caused by under or overthrowing it. In short, relax, focus on placement and pace, not a massive hook or 100 mph.


Actually, I have no idea. Man, can I lie....

Anonymous said...

Silly!