Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Lesbian Married in San Francisco Dies..


I'll probably tick off a few people here, but I decided to take a moment to pay a little respect to a person whim I have very little in common with. Del Martin, half of the first gay couple married in San Francisco's new legal gay marriage this year, passed away from complications after a fall at home. She was 87.
Now, I am not a supporter of gay marriage, but I have supported gay and lesbian couples to enter into civil unions to recognize their relationship, like any other legal agreement. Disagree if you want, but my opinion is made up from the environment I grew up in, and from being exposed to gay couples from my sister since I was 7 years old, and others since. I have gay and lesbian friends today, so to deny them any rights as a couple is legally irresponsible.
No, I didn't agree with Ms. Martin, but I can respect her wanting to marry her partner, and I can respect her being with the same person for 55 years. I don't concern myself with God's judgement of homosexuals - that's his job. Like everyone else, they are people , no different as far as the basics go. No, they're not out to steal your girlfriend of boyfriend, or to 'convert' you.
Martin was a tough , determined cookie who took a lot of flack for being so public with her lifestyle, and thus, made it easier for those in her wake. I can relate to that, and I can respect that.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a long time together i kind of followed this wedding

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Lesbian or straight, you have to repsect a couple together for 55 years..

earlcapps said...

Any couple who can stay together that long ... either they're deaf, lousy shots, or too weak to pick up the butcher knife after all these years.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Is that the key to a happy marriage? Really Earl, I doubt the two of us are the ones to dispense marriage advice.....

earlcapps said...

I am. See what I did and listen to what I say - and do the opposite. You can't go wrong.

Anonymous said...

wait a minute i have been divorced for thirty plus years and i am an expert on the subject