Thursday, August 14, 2008

What Do You Do When Your Ex-Boss Slanderizes You? Tell The Truth, Then Pray.


I got off the phone with the Unemployment Dept. today, where they give you the 2 week call to find out what exactly happened when you got fired. Now, I'll preface this by saying that I know your boss can release you for any reason the want. I'm wearing an ugly tie - fine. You don't like my blog - no problem. But, if you want to let someone go for no good reason, the be prepared to have to pay me - or 10% of me. Some employers seem hellbent to avoid paying this, but my bosses told me that this wouldn't be the case. Until today.
According to the Labor Dept., my bosses said that I "performed unauthorized work, and argued with a customer", and in an absolute lie, said that I had been written up twice for my attitude previously. Not exactly the truth here, folks....
I was taken aback by this nifty pile of BS thrown at me. First , I had an authorization by the customer, who later recanted after I called him, and I certainly didn't argue with him. I was fine, and I repeatedly tried to give it to my manager to do her job and handle it, but she wasn't interested in talking to him. Like I said, all of this is irrelevant - they can fire me if they want to. The last part is where they're trying to BS the Labor Dept. out of paying me.
The only time my attitude wass discussed was six weeks earlier - when I was blindsided by my boss AFTER HOURS . I let her have it, and she didn't like it. Was I written up? Absolutely not. I was waiting for it, but it never came, and if you aren't presented it to sign or decline to sign, you haven't been written up. My first demand was for the Labor Dept. to have my old boss produce these writeups. I'm still waiting.....
Secondly, I asked for an exit interview upon my dismissal, to protect myself, and they don't do that, so there is virtually no record of any disciplinary action. In short, they have no case to deny me, but by fighting it, it will delay me getting benefits another two weeks. Thanks !
Luckily, all of this may be a moot point. I have a final interview tomorrow, and I see no obstacles to getting it. I'm experienced, i'm qualified, and no one does the job better than me. Besides, guys love stealing an employee from a competitor !! I'm home for good, and I will fix all the relationships that got strained the past year.
So, what is my advice? Cover your ass at all times, but maybe more importantly, do a good enough job that you don't have to perpetually have to go thru junk like I do. One day, i'll even learn this myself..
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to work for GM or Ford

Thoroughbred 401k said...

The Chevrolet dealer doesn't have anything happening yet. As for working for Ford, why don't I jump on the Titanic before she sinks?

Anonymous said...

Oddly this is where it might be nice to have a Hillary Clinton type as a labor lawyer... True, an employer in SC may discharge you at any time, bla bla bla. OTOH, kindly produce the doucmentation of Mr. Reino's counselling, signed by Mr. Reino or explain why you lied, effectively under oath, to a state agency to avoid paying legitimate expenses.

I hear the Breck Girl might be free.